Blogs

/Blogs

Digital Platformation

How Newspapers Are Revolutionizing Paid Content Models When it comes to digital transformation in the news media industry, there’s no need to belabor the backstory. It started back in the day when our publishers told us, “We need to get on the web, pronto.” This was circa 1995, when people still said “pronto” and [...]

February 17th, 2017|Blog: Content, Blog: Mobile|

What’s the difference between 983 and 12?

For companies considering a new content management system, the choice often comes down to a decision between proprietary and open source. For those companies that prefer open source content management solutions, the choice then becomes whether to go with Drupal or WordPress or something else. Our new blog tries to address these questions, with an [...]

December 15th, 2016|Blog: Cloud, Blog: Content|

Return on Mobile App Investment

Mobile phones have become so ubiquitous that there’s actually a new phobia called nomophobia, which is the intense or irrational fear of being out of mobile phone contact. Dependence on our mobile devices is increasing daily. The gurus at Scientific American describe this as transactive memory. It’s our need to have reliable external sources of [...]

September 12th, 2016|Blog: Mobile|

Mobilizing for Growth

Check out these recent statistics from the Pew Research State of the News Media 2016 report: 65%   =  Increase in spending on newspaper mobile advertising last year 35%   =  Total newspaper digital advertising spend on mobile 135% =  Growth in mobile news consumption in 2015 10%   =  Pace of expansion in unique news [...]

June 30th, 2016|Blog: Advertising, Blog: Mobile|

Clicks to Clocks to Cliques

Written for the World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (wan-ifra.org) In the old days, digital advertising effectiveness was measured by how many people clicked on an ad. This worked okay for a while. Then ads started scudding across our screens and filling up so much of our precious page real estate that most clicks [...]

June 16th, 2016|Blog: Advertising, Blog: Content, Blog: Mobile|

Raising your Game on Sports Agate

Major League pitcher Jim Bouton once said, “Statistics are about as interesting as first base coaches.” Bouton’s book, Ball Four, helped to revolutionize baseball journalism and caused fans to view the national pastime in an entirely new way. Former Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren had a more positive – but equally cynical – perspective [...]

May 23rd, 2016|Blog: Content|

Beware the Hacktivists

Journalists, be afraid. Be very afraid. You are targets for cyber criminals who want to steal your personal identities. In fact, you are the prime access points for these so-called hacktivists, who will use your compromised account information to infiltrate your network and attempt to control your media company’s editorial voice. A recent PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) [...]

May 3rd, 2016|Blog: Cloud, Blog: Content|

How Does Your Programmatic Technology Stack Up?

When it comes to programmatic advertising, publishers spend less than 20 percent of their time on value-related tasks like selling, upselling, and lead generation. The remaining 80 percent of the time is spent on administrative activities such as billing, reconciliation, reporting, rekeying data, and monitoring inventory for ad fraud. Now that programmatic trading is [...]

March 29th, 2016|Blog: Advertising, Blog: Cloud|

Clean Ads, Native Ads, No Ads

New publisher survey points to promising solutions in the battle against ad blockers Your typical news website takes almost eight seconds for a page to load. That same page loads in less than two seconds when an ad blocker is installed on the visitor’s desktop or mobile device. When people are trying to access [...]

March 3rd, 2016|Blog: Advertising|